Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Federated Search Writing Contest: the $500 Question

Roy Tennant recently posted a blog entry on the $500 writing contest for "an essay that describes the landscape of federated search in 10 years." If you are so inclined, you might want to kick the tires or have an entry in the contest as your submission can have up to 1,500 words. If you want to make a submission or read the rules additional information is available at:

My initial thoughts are more historic then futuristic. Where has federated searching been in the last 10 years? Well, without revealing my own thoughts on the mater yet, I'm still trying to figure where it has been to make predictions about the future. I'm not sure yet if I will even attempt to adequately answer the question or make predictions yet, but I do say it has given me some good 'food for thought' and possibly an interesting challenge if not for entertainment value. What do you think federated search will look like in 10 years?